My Experience with AirPhil Express
May 29, 2011
I feel blessed that I was one of the bloggers invited to experience AirPhil Express Davao Extreme Package. It was actually my 1st time to ride in an AirPhil Express plane. I was curious. The last time I had a domestic travel, I travelled via PAL Express. I was surprised to find out that AirPhil Express was actually PAL Express before! hahaha!
It all started February 13, 1995 when Air Philippines was incorporated. Flight operations started February 1, 1996 with flights going to Subic, Iloilo & Pampanga. Two years after, operations of the Air Philippines brand were transferred to Philippines Airlines via the PAL Express brand. Fast forward to 2009, operations of PAL Express were transferred to Air Philippines. Finally, Air Philippines was relaunched as AirPhil Express last March 28, 2010 as a low-cost carrier.
AirPhil Express is a sister company of Philippine Airlines under the Lucio Tan Group, but it is operating independently from PAL.
Whew! What a history. In short, there is no more PAL Express and we now have AirPhil Express. I’m just glad all AirPhil Express flights are in NAIA 3. The airport is the newest among all in Manila. I appreciate the efficiency of the check-in counters too.
While we await for our flight, we can take pictures for remembrance.
As of this writing, AirPhil Express current fleet includes:
- Five Q400 76-seater (30 flights daily + 20 on selective days)
- Three Q300 56-seater (24 flights daily + 2 on selective days)
- Six A320 (68 flights daily)
- two 171-seater
- four 180-seater
Similar to other low-cost carriers, AirPhil Express doesn’t have food and drinks included in their airfare. I was very hungry during our flight that I couldn’t resist the noodles being offered by flight attendants. I bought this Korean noodles for Php 100 (I know, very expensive)! Drinks are being sold too at Php 50 per can. There were sandwiches and other pastries available for sale too.
While I had a pleasant flight, I think there are some improvements that AirPhil Express can do. One thing I remembered during the flight was the facial expression of one of the attendants. I think she was having a bad day but I do hope she didn’t show it to us as she was customer-facing. I also had to ask for ice 3 times before it was given to me. I know such complaints can be sent through AirPhil Express Facebook Page.
I was very impressed when I checked out the page, AirPhil Express do respond to each and every post written by customers. They are really serious with providing better service.
I can attest to the good customer service as I encountered an accident during our water rafting activity. My toe nail fell off. AirPhil Express staff went beyond their duties and took me to the hospital even though I wasn’t experiencing much pain and can function completely.
Back to my flight experience, I enjoyed looking out the window with such good view of our skies. The window seat will always be my choice whenever I fly out
Overall, I enjoyed my flight with AirPhil Express. There were no delays that time. However, there might be some instances where flights are delayed. Like for example, bad weather. We don’t wanna push it, do we?
Here’s more information about AirPhil Express that might interest you:
- flies to 25 destinations with a total of 144 flights.
- Travel services include:
- Seat selector – A special service offered by Airphil Express that allows you to pre-reserve your seat for a minimum cost. Standard Seats are sold at Php 100 per way. Premium Seats such as exit rows and the first two rows are sold at Php 200 per way.
- Prepaid Baggage – You can pre-pay your excess baggage during your online ticket purchase or by requesting Pre-paid Baggage when purchasing your tickets through Airphil Express Reservations or at any Airphil Express Ticket Office.
- additional 5 kilograms at Php 400.
- additional 10 kilograms at Php 800.
- additional 15 kilograms at Php 1,200.
- Web Checkin – A more convenient and simple way to check-in to any Airphil Express flight and saves you time by avoiding the long queue at the airport.
- Travel Insurance – Airphil Express Travel Insurance in underwritten by
Chartis Philippines Insurance, Inc.
- all flights are inclusive of baggage allowance.
- 1st and only budget airline with dedicated online customer service in the Philippines.
- Upcoming flights:
- starting July 1, 2011, Manila-Tacloban.
- starting October 20, 2011, Manila-Cotabato, Manila-Gen. Santos.
- Last, but definitely not the least, AirPhil Express’ Extreme Adventure Packages which I personally experienced and enjoyed two weeks ago