Cooking a Full Meal with Splenda
December 2nd, 2012
Last October, I went to the grocery and got myself some Splenda products. I was planning to eat healthy. I thought that substituting sugar with a healthier alternative was good for me. After reading hundreds of recipes that features Splenda, I still ended up clueless with what to cook. Not to mention that I had to prepare to move to my new place last month. I was too busy to even cook!
Well, now that I have settled in the condo, I’m ready to cook up a few simple meals! This is an activity which I find difficult and exciting at the same time.
I asked a close friend to help me out. It’s vital for me to seek help because I can’t even cook a decent egg (I’m that inexperienced with cooking!). She was very supportive and suggested that we prepare a whole meal using Splenda as a supplementary ingredient. WOW! I was only thinking of one or two recipes but we ended up preparing four dishes!!!
There were two things that I was looking out for the activity:
- the cooking experience itself.
- learning how to prepare food.
- if there is a difference in taste considering that we won’t be using real sugar.
Yesterday, we finally did it! After almost two hours, all 4 dishes were completed! I didn’t do the cooking but I was mostly chopping things and observing my friend cook. She’s truly the best! I truly appreciate the help she extended. I think I can cook those dishes by myself in the future. With regards to the taste, it was actually good! I didn’t feel guilty eating a lot because I know it has less calories since we used Splenda.
Here are the recipes of our delicious lunch yesterday (thanks Maus!):
1st item: Sopas
1/3 cup Elbow Macaroni
1 cup Sliced Hotdog
1 cup Diced Carrots
1 cup Diced Potatoes
1/2 cup Sliced Onions
1 box All-Purpose Cream
3 cups Water
Salt, Pepper & Granulated Splenda to taste
- Heat 3 cups of Water in a pot, with 1 tablespoon Oil and 1/3 tablespoon Salt.
- Once Water boils, place 1 cup of Elbow Macaroni and place lid over the pot.
- Put Carrots & Potatoes into the mixture and let it boil.
- Until Carrots & Potatoes are cooked, put in Chopped Onion, Pepper, Salt & Granulated Splenda to taste.
- Let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and pour in the All-Purpose Cream and stir.
- Serve hot.
2nd item: Chili Ground Beef
1/3 kilo of Ground Beef
10 cloves of Garlic diced.
3 pieces of Chili
1/2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
Salt & Granulated Splenda to taste
- Saute Garlic in Oil until you can smell the aroma.
- Put in the sliced chilies and sauté for a few seconds.
- Put in the ground beef and let it cook.
- Place in Soy Sauce, Salt & Splenda to taste.
3rd item: Vanilla Gulaman with Lychee
12 grams White Gulaman Powder (unflavored)
3 cups Water
1 cup Granulated Splenda
1 cup Condensed Milk
2 tablespoons Vanilla Extract
1 can Lychee
- Measure 3 cups of water (700 mL) in a saucepan.
- Sprinkle 12 grams Gulaman powder into the water while stirring.
- Add 1 cup of Granulated Splenda into the mixture.
- Heat the saucepan and continue stirring until jelly comes into a near boil.
- Turn off the stove.
- Mix in the Condensed Milk & Vanilla Extract.
- Let the mixture cool for one hour and chill.
- Cut the Gelatin into cubes.
- Mix Gelatin cubes with Lychee.
- Serve & enjoy.
4th item: Kiamoy Lemonade
Serving: 1 glass
2 pieces kiamoy
2 Splenda packets
1 piece lemon
- Place 2 pieces of kiamoy into a glass .
- Squeeze 1 piece of lemon into the glass and fill with cold water.
- Stir in 2 packets of Splenda.
- Drink is now ready to serve.