Proposal Daisakusen: Operation Love
April 8, 2013
I have a friend named JB. He is very very much in love with his female best friend. Actually, he was in love with her ever since they started their friendship and he didn’t even realize it. Spectators/Common friends (including me) all noticed it but he kept denying it saying that he only treated her as a sister. However, actions speak louder than words and it only showed love, love, love, and only love!
Good thing that finally after x number of years, he realised that he was in love. The problem was he can’t seem to tell her how he really feels. He may be scared that he might lose the friendship. But boy, it’s just too obvious that I felt that the only thing left for him to do is to confess. Sadly, I feel that he will not confess even after she finds someone else or if she gets married. I’m afraid that my friend will regret not having the courage to tell her he loves her.
You’ll hear the main character of Proposal Daisakusen: Operation Love chant those two words in every single episode. What does Hallelujah Chance mean? For Iwasa Ken, those are his magic words and could change his life.
Proposal Daisakusen: Operation Love is a Japanese drama shown last 2007. Considering I don’t follow Japanese TV series made me wanna thank my friend who convinced me to watch it. He was really persistent to the point that he was pestering me every single day to push me to spend time watching all eleven episodes plus the special feature film shown after that.
Last holy week, I was able to finally watch the whole story of Proposal Daisakusen: Operation Love! It was definitely one of the BEST TV series I have seen in my lifetime. I’m not exaggerating! If my friend took a lot of time convincing me then I’m going to use this blog entry to convince you to watch it too! I spent one whole day watching but it was all worth it! There are just too many lessons to learn, too many things to reflect with and too many scenes that can touch your heart.
Proposal Daisakusen tells the story of five individuals who have strong friendship. It focuses though on Iwasa Ken who was attending Yoshida Rei’s wedding. He realises that he is losing Rei forever thus feeling miserable all throughout the wedding. Luckily, a fairy lives in the church and gave Ken a chance to go back into the past so he can confess to Rei what he feels…
- Yamashita Tomohisa as Iwase Ken
- Nagasawa Masami as Yoshida Rei
- Eikura Nana as Oku Eri
- Hiraoka Yuta as Enokido Mikio
- Hamada Gaku as Tsurumi Hisashi
- Mikami Hiroshi as the Yosei/Fairy
There is one catch though. The fairy can let Ken go back to the past through the photos shown during the slideshow at the wedding. Ken will be able to relive that moment where the photo took place. However, he must return to the present once the photo has been taken.
Ken is not skilled in courting or in facing his romantic feelings thus he couldn’t do anything during his first attempt in time travel. All he did was change the expression of Rei resulting to her smile in the photo.
But what do we know? The fairy came back as soon as the second photo on the wedding slideshow showed up. Apparently, Ken had more chances in professing his love to Rei. Will he be successful this time?
I won’t expound more because I do not want to give spoilers about Proposal Daisakusen: Operation Love. You have to watch it to appreciate it. One thing you must do is to have a roll of tissue beside you while watching so that you can get some when you ended up crying.
I, for one, was crying all throughout. It was that bad that the next day, my eyes were so swollen, I couldn’t even open my eyes!
The more important thing about the whole experience is there are a lot of lessons to remember by. Proposal Daisakusen didn’t just talk about love but also friendship. There were so many words of wisdom. Even the theme song is sooooo beautiful!
Here are some of the valuable & memorable lines from the TV series:
- We might quarrel in the future, and there will be a lot of complaints and there will be times of mutual cold war, but still, I hope that you’ll always be by my side. I will take care of you for life. Please marry me.
- There is nothing more pitiful than someone who tries to gain others’ praise by showing off.
- In the world of architecture, the concept of coincidence is unthinkable. There would be no result if it’s not built piece by piece. everything is consequential.
- That’s a lot of hard work. Even when it’s so hectic right before the wedding. To girls, their wedding is a once in a life time moment of their life, right? So there’s no such thing as doing too much.
- If human strive hard, there are many things that are possible.
- You’re a flower beyond my reach no matter how I try. I know this clearly. So please, because you’re the woman of my dreams, don’t play into his hands so easily. Don’t get in relationships that will only make you cry.
- Even though his body is so small, i think he’s the biggest man in the world.
- The important thing is not lamenting about the past now, but rather to change the present for the future.
- Ask, and it shall be given. Seek, and you shall find. Knock, and it shall be opened to you.
- Those who say they’ll do it tomorrow are idiots.
- Men cannot let go of their first love. Women, on the other hand, cannot let go of their final love.
- No matter how hard one tries to change the past, one cannot change themselves. Instead of regretting about the past, what’s most important is to change the present for the future.
- You should keep looking for the door of miracles. Unless you keep wishing for that, the door of miracles will never open for you. The key to open the door of miracles exists only in your heart!
Now, why did I mention my friend JB at the start of this article? Because I wish he will have a fairy like in Proposal Daisakusen when our female friend gets married in the future. I know it is impossible but I hope one day, JB will finally realise that keeping his feelings to himself will hurt him more. Maybe he has a chance after all!