June 15, 2013
I discovered Slussen via Facebook when someone posted a photo of it. I immediately said to myself that I want one! It is a unique accessory and I must say a needed one for a gadget freak like me.
This small gadget accessory is as simple as you get. It is a 2-piece item. There’s a keyring, and an adapter that you plug into your iOS device. But don’t let its size diminish its functionality. The Urbanears Slussen is fierce, super fierce! This little thing coupled with its free iOS companion software can transform any place into a fun party!
How? Read on.
I initially got myself the Slussen because I felt the need to have this accessory so that when I go on a trip with a friend, I will be able to share the music I’m listening to.
You know being able to listen to music with both earphones on really makes a difference versus listening with just one ear. Having both me and a friend making the most out of our headphones or earphones is really the reason why we have those accessories. The Slussen by Urbanears made it possible and I love it!
This functionality alone made me think that purchasing Urbanears Slussen is worth it. However, upon reading the manual, I was totally shocked that Slussen was actually made for the DJ in us…
Pocket-sized DJ Kit
I’ve always thought that I have ZERO talent for DJing. Whenever I’m in a party, I would just look at the DJ from afar thinking that I would never ever be able to try out how to mix sounds and especially, scratching them. Besides, I don’t have the equipment. This year, that impossibility became a possibility! How did that ever happen?
Technology really advances fast that even DJing is a possibility now for newbie like me. Thanks to Urbanears Slussen, my headphones and speaker, I now spent a couple of days mixing and experimenting music. I’m enjoying it sooo much!
So here’s how it works:
- Download the Slussen iOS application from the app store.
- Connect the slussen adapter to your iPhone.
- Plug your speaker and headphones to your slussen adapter.
- Launch the Slussen iOS application and you’re on your way to DJ awesomeness!
In just one glance of the Slussen iOS application, you can already see the different controls. The first thing I did was load the tracks in each of the deck. I chose two of my favorite songs today. When I played the songs, they really didn’t match. I had to read some tutorials on how I can mix music. It’s definitely not easy. I’m just glad that Urbanears had thought about this great app and accessory so that at least I can experience DJing (even just for my own enjoyment, hehe!).
- kill all – kill the EQ effects on the respective side
- 125 BPM – increase the BPM of a track or change the pitch by tapping the BPM button
- sync button – press this button to make sure that 2 different tracks are played in perfect sync
- equalizer – press and hold the EQ button to adjust the equalizer or gain.
- scratch function – press and move any of the decks while they are playing to scratch
- crossfader – slide from right to left to choose which side should be heard in your speakers
- headphone crossfader – lets you choose which deck you will hear in your headphones
- cue feature – cue instantly, or set a new cute-point by tapping the cue button
What I appreciate in this application is how you can mix two different tracks and control where the music will come out. You use the crossfaders to control the music that will come out in your speaker or headphones. There’s the sync button to make the two tracks in sync (this is especially helpful if I suddenly got tired of harmonizing them). Of course, the scratch function is a joy to play with!
The best feature of it all is pre-listening! You can prepare your next music mix on your headphone without affecting the sounds coming out of the speaker. Then when ready, you load the next track to mix for everyone to listen.
In the future, I hope that Urbanears would add a feature wherein we can record our own music mixes.
Lastly, how else can we bring Urbanears Slussen with us but hanging on our keychain? It’s easy to pull it up when we need the Slussen, whenever, wherever, and always
Still want to know more about Urbanears Slussen? Then watch the video from Urbanears below.
Urbanears Slussen is available in four colors [Tomato (red), Grape (purple), Petrol (blue) & Pumpkin (orange)] and is priced at Php 795 in the Philippines.