Recipe: Bicol Express
April 13, 2016
A lot of people I know are fond of spicy food and I’m one of them. I remember when I was still a little girl, we had a house helper who cooked really good food. She came from Bicol and one of her specialties is the Bicol Express. Now, that I’m grown up already. I have learned to cook my own version of Bicol Express. Thanks to the internet for having the recipe available online.
Bicol Express is basically a stew made of pork, onions, garlic, coconut milk, shrimp paste and chili peppers. I love this!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 kilo pork belly, cut into strips
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste (I use Barrio Fiesta bagoong)
- 12-15 thai red chili peppers, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a wok, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions then garlic, cook until onions are translucent.
- Add shrimp paste (bagoong) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add pork and cook until pork turns light brown in color.
- Add coconut milk, water and bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut cream and chili peppers.
- Lower heat, cover and cook until pork is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy!